I am very excited to be talking hockey again. Not that I stopped over the summer but it seemed to fall on deaf ears most of the time. As the Habs hit the ice last night I would like to think they took the last of the humidity and scorching sunlight with them. Bring on the snow! I’m ready!
Despite dropping their first preseason game 6-3 to the Dallas Stars last night, there were a few things to get excited about.
1. Alexei Yemelin is a beast. Leading the team in hits last night was great, but somewhat expected. What really impressed me was this guys skating. He looks very smooth and extremely powerful on his skates. There was a few points where he looked a lot like Markov skating around the ice. While everyone else still had their summer legs under them, Yemelin looked strong and ready.
2. Weber might finally be ready. He was more responsible in his own end, he looked faster and able to actually catch a forward that starts to get past him and seemed like the only veteran defenseman on the ice other than Todd Gill. Yes yes, I realize he WAS the only other vet out there but he LOOKED it. That was nice to see.
3. Jarred Tinordi is going to be awesome when he eventually grows into his body. While still a little gangly on skates, I was very surprised with the amount of skill he has with the puck, the amount of acceleration he has for a big guy and how well he has learned to use his size to his advantage.
4. Cole scored a goal! Enough said there.
5. Aaron Palushaj played hard. While unlikely to find himself a spot on the roster, this kid still played hard and seemed intent on proving himself.
6. Andrei Kostitsyn wants a new contract. If he plays all season like he did last night, he just might get one.
We will see how the rest of the preseason plays out, but so far I like what I’m seeing.